It’s Boy Scout Popcorn Time!
Aug. 15, 2011 – Oct. 22, 2011
Please read through this material. If you have any questions, see me, Mei Carpenter (Popcorn Kernel), at the troop meetings or e-mail email@example.com or call 737-1578.
WHY DO WE SELL POPCORN?
- To support the Boy Scout program – 1/3 of the popcorn price goes to the Council, allowing them to provide the Boy Scout program
- To grow the Scout’s skills – allows Scout to set goals, polish sales skills, and exhibit leadership throughout entire process (order through delivery)
- To earn prizes – Scouts can earn prizes for achieving various levels of sales
- To raise money for Troop 947 – 1/6 of the popcorn price stays in our local troop to pay for troop expenses like camping supplies and awards (we spent $1,932 and $2,700 respectively, in 2010), insurance for the trailers, internet charges, adult and Scout training, fees for adults to attend summer camp with the troop. Since the popcorn sale is the only fundraiser for the troop, we expect every Scout to participate. Let’s beat last year’s sales figure of $17,351!
- To raise money for the Scout – 1/6 of the popcorn price goes to the Scout in his own account, which can be used for troop dues, camp fees, high adventure trips, etc.
CONTESTS & INCENTIVE PROGRAMS
Council Popcorn Kickoff Party
This event is designed to encourage Scouts to get off to an exciting start.
Where: Historic Loveland, Ohio, near the bike trail
When: Sat., Sept. 10, 11 am – 2 pm
Who: Everyone in the whole family
What: Scouts will get to try the Flying Trapeze, Live music, magicians,
carnival games, and much more
Mid-Sale $1,000 Circus Lock-In
Scouts with $1,000 in sales by Mon., Oct. 10th, will be invited to experience a one-in-a-lifetime overnight experience. In partnership with the Cincinnati Circus Company and the Western Sports Mall, Dan Beard Council will treat these motivated to sellers to a night of entertainment.
- Try the Flying Trapeze and become a part of the circus
- Learn magic tricks and juggling
- Play sports such as basketball, volleyball, soccer, kickball, and more
To qualify a scout must sell at least $600 worth of product.
- Zing Ring Zyclone and Patch will be awarded to each Scout. These recognition items will come with the troop’s prizes in December or January.
- Popcorn Celebration –$600 Club members will be invited to a special recognition event at the Cincinnati Cyclones hockey game in January. Tickets will be mailed directly to the Scout.
Mystery House Program – starts Sept. 24
A special prize – iPod Touch – will be placed in 20 homes throughout the Dan Beard Council. Clues to the Mystery House locations will be on the council website on Sept. 24 and on each following Thursday by 4 pm. Fans of the Council’s popcorn Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dan-Beard-Council-Popcorn-Sale/193294820723323?sk=wall) will receive these clues exactly one hour earlier. A Scout who approaches one of the selected homes and asks the homeowner to purchase some Trail’s End Popcorn will be awarded the prize on the spot.
$1,500 Extreme Seller Experience
Scouts selling $1,500 or more of popcorn will qualify for the following:
- To attend an event at Dave & Busters on January. A formal invitation will be mailed to each qualifying Scout.
- From Trails End, choice of a $50 amazon.com or Walmart gift card
Military Product Donation Recognition
- Scouts selling $100 in military donations will receive a special patch from Trails End
- Scouts selling $250 in military donations will receive a $25 Camp Voucher redeemable toward any Dan Beard Council camping fee for summer 2012
Scout Night at the Reds Game
- The Top seller will throw out the first pitch at next year’s “Scout Night at the Reds Game” and he will drop the first puck at the Cyclone Popcorn Celebration.
- Everyone who sells will receive a Reds Voucher for select games in the 2012 baseball season
Trail’s End Scholarship Program
Trail’s End will credit to a Participating Scout’s Scholarship account 6% of his retail sales made in a given Sale Period, up to a maximum credit of $1,000 per Sale Period. To initially qualify as a Participating Scout, an applicant must have sold a minimum of $2,500 in retail sales for a given Sale Period. For more details about this program go to www.trails-end.com
Troop 947 Prizes
- Each Scout who sells $400 or more of popcorn will receive a $25 Best Buy gift card
- Beginning Aug. 17, Scouts who bring to the troop meetings order forms showing that they have sold more popcorn since the previous week will be eligible to select a prize (Trails End products – caps, shirts, pens, etc.). This program will continue until the prizes are all gone.
HOW DO WE SELL POPCORN?
There are four ways to sell popcorn: Pre-Sale, Show & Sell , Take Order and Online Sales
This portion of the Popcorn Sale begins on Aug. 15. Use the take order forms for the Pre-Sale, and submit it on Wed., Aug. 31. You will get this popcorn in Sept. Please continue selling for the Take Order portion of the Popcorn Sale.
Show & Sell – September and October
- Sales will be held at Kroger and Bass Pro Shop. See sign-up sheets at troop meetings
- One scout/parent will need to coordinate with Mei Carpenter to pick up popcorn and sales materials before and after the sales at Kroger and Bass Pro Shop
- Money is due at time of sale
- Order forms are available at troop meetings
- Money is due at time of delivery. You can collect the money up front when the customer orders; this will make delivery much easier.
- Make sure you go out with an adult or buddy, wear your uniform, smile and be polite. Tell them your troop number and why you are selling popcorn. Realize that you are selling scouting as much as the popcorn itself.
Each Scout who creates an online account at www.trails-end.com by Oct. 3, 2011, and sells popcorn to at least two customers will be entered into a drawing to win an iPad 2. Cut-off for this contest is noon on Sat., Nov. 5. Drawing will take place on Mon., Nov. 7.
- Trails-end.com is a way for Scouts to reach friends and family who live far away
- Scouts can send e-mails directly from the website to customers, whose online purchases will be credited to the Scout
- Orders are shipped directly to the customer
- Earn bonus rewards from Trails End by selling online
- The Online Sale is open all year long. Online sales from Aug. 1 – Oct. 28 will count toward the Popcorn Sale prize and rewards program.
Mon., Aug. 15 Pre-Sale begins
Wed., Aug. 31 Pre-Sale order forms are due. Please total the columns.
Sat., Sept. 24 Pick up Pre-Sale products at Carpenter residence, 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm. Directions from Lord of Life Church are given below.
Wed., Oct. 19
- All money for Pre-Sale orders is due. Checks made payable to “Troop 947”.
- Take Order forms are due – don’t forget to choose your prize. Please copy your order form for your records before turning them into Mei Carpenter
Sat., Nov. 19 Pick up Take Order Sale products at Carpenter residence, 9:30 am – 11:30 am
Wed., Nov. 30 All money for Take Order Sales is due. Checks made payable to “Troop 947”.
WHERE DO I PICK UP POPCORN?
Pre-Sale and Take Order Sale popcorn to be picked up at Carpenter residence.
Directions from Lord of Life Lutheran Church:
Turn left out of parking lot onto Tylersville Rd.
Right turn onto Lesourdesville/West Chester Rd.
Left turn on Hamilton-Mason Rd.
Right turn onto Walnut Creek Dr.
Right turn onto Providence Ridge Dr.; my house is the third one on the right after you cross High Saddle Ct. – 5223 Providence Ridge Dr.